I was able to find a men's softball team for Kyle to play on during BYU's Spring Semester. I overheard a friend in our ward mention that he was playing and so I called him to see if Kyle would be able to play on their team. We have usually had a ward team but weren't able to get one this year. The team had a spot for him. The team was also able to pick up another schedule too so double the games. Last week there were 4 games, 3 of them were played in the rain.
The team is really quite unique that he plays on. Half are deaf. One of his teammates along with being deaf is blind in one eye. It has been a wonderful learning experience of how to signal, call out, for fly balls and just to communicate in general. This has been Kyle's favorite season of playing softball.
The teams record in the regular season is best put this way 0 wins and the losses whose counting. The win column is filled with the reasons why I like intramurals, friendships, fun, and being active.
Tournament play began tonight. Warren and I went a were able to watch, I guess I should say catch small glimpses, of the game. Warren, of course, likes to explore, thinks that he deserves a turn to bat, likes to hang the bats on the net on the backstop, play with the balls and gloves, look for the airplanes in the sky, and hug his dad while he is waiting to bat.
If they won tonight they would play a second game. They WON the first game by forfeit! Warren and I arrived after they had began the second game. We had a nice walk over to the fields seeing all the buses, motorcycles, vans, bikes, and finding the "W" on a few signs for Warren. We are so glad that we went. I was able to see the team play really well today. The players bats were hot and they were also blessed a couple of times where the defenders appeared to have holes in their gloves. Kyle had 3 really great hits that we were able to see. A double was hit to left field near the left foul line, a double to center, and one to go down in history... a HOMERUN to left center, it almost made it to the parking lot (good thing it didn't or it would have been a double) it was a beautiful hit!!! He still can't believe he hit it that far. Their run in the tournament will continue, yeah for more time to develop friendships, more fun on the fields, and more time being active.
No comments:
Post a Comment