Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Surgery Day

I woke up Warren at 3:00 am to give him his last feeding before surgery. I then gave him some clear liquids too. He was so cute and was so talkative. Little did he know what was going to happen that day. We went back to sleep and woke up about an hour later to head up to Primary Children's extension at the Riverton Hospital.

We checked in at 6:15 am and they did a mini baby well check on him. He is 18 lbs. now. I can't remember how tall they said he was. We then waited till it was time for the surgery to take place in the waiting room. It had a great selection of toys and a bubble machine which was great for distracting Warren from his hunger. After our 30 min. wait we talked with the surgeon, Dr. B, and then met Dr. L, the Anesthesiologist, who was so kind and gave us words of which were like music to my ears, "We'll treat him like he's our own," this is what I needed to hear. Warren went right to Dr. L. and disappeared down the hall to surgery. Warren looked really cute in his hospital attire, though I wish he didn't have to wear it that day, dressups yes, for real no. We were escorted to another waiting room and were given a complimentary breakfast of bagels or muffins and hot chocolate. While we waited Dale came and got Kyle to take him to the airport so he could go to the TESOL conference in Boston. Right as Kyle and Dale left the parking lot the nurse came and told us that the surgery was completed. It took about 20 min. for the surgery from when we saw Dr. L take him. Dawn and I then waited in the waiting room until he started to wake up from the anesthesia. When he started to wake up the nurse came back to the waiting room took me to the first recovery room, where I found Warren crying at the top of his lungs:( My little heart strings were sure being tugged on especially when the nurses gave him to me to hold and he continued to cry, flail his arms, flip back, and climb me. He didn't know what was going on and found out that this is a normal reaction for babies. They told me that I could nurse him to calm him down and that worked for 2 minutes. We tried a bottle of glucose water too. It was sad to see. The nurses then called the Dr. and asked if they could give him more morphine and this helped, as well as standing up to hold him holding his head against my shoulder. With a little whimper all the while he calmed down and nestled in. During this time I remembered the blessing that Kyle gave to Warren and I the night before which brought peace, as well as, the prayers that were being offered for him. Eventually, they then moved us into another recovery area where we waited about 3 hrs. to make sure his vitals were all good. It took a while for his recovery because his breathing wasn't where it needed to be. It got better when we readjusted the position that I was holding him and later changing the position of where the chord was from his foot to his finger. We are very grateful to Mom(Dawn) and Dad(Dale) for being with us at the hospital. We spent the afternoon at the Johnson's until 3:30, when Warren was more alert and able to support his head a little better.

He slept on the way home. When we got home you wouldn't have known that he had had surgery. He was finding the outlets (don't worry they're covered) pulling himself up on the couch, the dishwasher door, the chairs, the entertainment center, crawling after me in the house, and escaping from me when I was trying to change his diaper. Much different from the little lethargic boy we took home from the hospital today. I think he began to feel some of the effects of the anesthesia because he kept on losing his lunch (liquids).

He slept for about four hours and then I felt like I had just brought a newborn home. He woke up about every 2 hours and we even played a little bit around 4:30. I prayed for energy to be alert for him. I am grateful for the little nap that I got today and am looking forward to going to bed very shortly. We played a lot today, took 2 walks, and visited some ward members, as well as, had a visit from one of my visiting teachers. Our Heavenly Father, our immediate family and our ward family have been mindful of us and we are so grateful for each one of you.

1 comment:

Mills Family said...

So grateful Warren's surgery went well. We are glad that he is home and pray that he will continue to recover quickly. Love you!